A DIAMOND AND GOLD RING BY GERALD BENNEY
the 18ct. gold mount with engraved swirl decoration and set with six circular-cut diamonds, 10.6 grams. Size M.
With green leather box by Gerald Benney
Adrian Gerald Sallis Benney (1930-2008)
Gerald Benney was one of the most influential and outstanding British goldsmiths of the 20th century and the first British craftsman to hold four Royal Warrants simultaneously, during a career spanning more than fifty years. Born in Hull, East Yorkshire, his father was Principal of Brighton College of Art, which Gerald attended from 1946-48, and his mother was a gifted silversmith.
He went on to study at the Royal College of Art where he met the designers and silversmiths David Mellor and Robert Welch. Influenced by modern Scandinavian design, together they went on to revolutionise Post-war silver design.
He established his first workshop at Suffolk House, Whitfield Place, off the Tottenham Court Road in London.
In 1968 in Zurich he met the enameller Berger Bergensen, who worked for the house of Burch Korrodi and had also worked for Karl Faberge's great rival Bolin. Benney, wanting to develop the use of enamel to further embellish his silver objects and designs, persuaded Bergensen to come to England to train his workshop in the art of enamelling. His studio went on to be one of the world's foremost modern enamellers.
In 1969 he moved his London studio to Falcon Wharf, Bankside and later to Bear Lane, Southwark.
In 1971 he was awarded Royal Designer for Industry and from 1974-1983 he was Professor of Silversmithing and Jewellery at the Royal College of Art.
In 1973 The Goldsmiths' Hall held a major retrospective of his work.
In 1993 he opened a shop at 73 Walton Street, in Knightsbridge together with his son Simon, now also an accomplished goldsmith and who continues to run the family business today.
He was appointed C.B.E. in 1995.
£1000 - £1500